Blog1:What Is Globalization? - BOLI PAN
Summary From Lecture and Article
As I answered a question in class, I think that the United States is an outstanding representative of globalization. It brings together white people, Asian people, and Black people; combines Black music and Asian food, continues to use the common language of the British Isles, and has built a strong, globalized country on its land. I thought my answer was not too bad, but now it seems that it was still too superficial. As the author said, there is really no particularly good standard answer for defining the grand topic of globalization. It is a controversial definition. After several weeks of learning and reading this article, I am more inclined to define it as a diverse and inevitable trend, with different levels of development at the present stage.
Unusual Things I Learned
If I were to say that I have some superficial understanding or a sense of familiarity with several parts of the article, the section on glocalization, from its name to its actual meaning, is something I can say I knew nothing about. Through studying the article, I learned that this concept first appeared in the field of business, namely, in the economic aspect of globalization. If globalization is a table that carries our world, then glocalization is the plates and bowls covering the table—the two coexist without being opposed to each other, representing certain differences within a common trend (this is my personal understanding). I was reminded again of what I answered in class about Western companies such as McDonald’s and Starbucks entering Asia, but at the time, I never thought about the differences between their business plans and product choices in Europe and America and those in Asia. At the same time, I was also pleasantly surprised to gain so many different perspectives from which to analyze globalization. From the author’s perspective, globalization has already been given a negative label, which is regrettable. Even today, we still approach this global issue in a rather superficial way. I may have already learned about topics such as global diversity, which carry political implications, in class, but I have never been able to analyze all of this from a human perspective. I have to admit that after conducting systematic reading, globalization has only become an issue that is more deeply integrated into my life. From my studies now to my entertainment and leisure after class, almost every part of my life seems to be a result of globalization.
Another point in the article that caught my attention is the author's view that globalization cannot simply be understood as an increasing connection between different parts of the world. Before this, I might have thought that everyone being able to chat with each other through Instagram was already globalization, but now I see that it goes far beyond that. This is also one of the reasons why I think globalization is so diverse. The concept of global consciousness proposed by the authors also makes me curious. Does it mean that people will think more about what kind of impact their everyday actions may have on the Earth and on people in other parts of the world? Thinking about this, I increasingly feel that this is one of the main reasons why globalization has become so deeply integrated into our everyday lives.
Question
I really want to know whether, given the differences in national strength around the world and the fact that the world is generally peaceful while wars continue to take place in some regions, the process of globalization is being deliberately guided. I also wonder whether countries with relatively weaker national power may therefore lose their ability to influence the process of globalization—or have their cultures and influence gradually diluted by those of other countries.
*The entire piece was thought through and written by myself. I did not use AI to create or polish the content. However, it is worth noting that the original draft was written in Chinese, so I used AI for mechanical translation.
Comments
Post a Comment