Blog 1: What Is Globalization?——Hong,Conghui

1. Summary of the Reading

The word globalization is very common in everyday life. We can see it in topics such as international trade, multinational companies, foreign brands, studying abroad, and cultural exchange. However, people from different countries, different regions, and even different fields may understand globalization in different ways. Therefore, the article does not describe globalization as a completely fixed concept.

The article mentions that globalization is not only about “more connections,” but also about the growth of “global consciousness.” Today, with the development of the Internet and transportation, it has become much easier for people in different countries to connect with each other.
For example, the Internet allows people from different countries to communicate quickly, and we can also learn about what is happening in different parts of the world through the news. The article also says that, more importantly than these connections, people are becoming more aware that the world they live in is not completely separated. Something that happens in one country or region can sometimes affect other places.

The article also explains globalization from four aspects: economic, political, cultural, and social. The authors believe that these aspects are not separate, but influence each other. For example, while economic globalization develops, it can also bring changes in cultural exchange and social interaction. I think the main point of the article is that globalization is related to nation-states, individuals, world politics, and humanity as a whole. It does not simply make all countries become the same. Instead, it is a process in which many aspects of different countries change at the same time and influence each other.

2. What I Found Interesting

I used to think that globalization mainly meant people from different countries communicating with each other, sharing their own festivals, cultures, and ways of life, and experiencing the festivals or atmosphere of life in other countries. But through this article, I learned that globalization is not only about more communication. It also includes the growth of “global consciousness.” People become more aware that the country they live in is not completely separate from the rest of the world, and something that happens in one country can sometimes affect other countries. For example, economic changes in one country may affect tourists who travel there. A war in one region may also affect energy prices, flights, and prices. People do not only learn about these events through the Internet. These events can also have a real effect on everyone’s daily life.

Another point that I found interesting is that globalization can also affect people’s daily lives and identities. When I thought about globalization before, I usually thought about trade between countries, economic development, or cultural exchange. I saw these as things that happened mainly between countries, so I did not really think about how globalization could also be closely connected to ordinary people’s daily lives. However, the article points out that individuals and everyday life are also part of globalization.

After reading this article, I thought about the video apps that we use in daily life. Even though we live in our own country, our phones often recommend music, movies, TV shows, festival content, and everyday-life videos from other countries. Over time, we may start to like music, clothing styles, or ways of life from other countries. For example, some fashion bloggers online recommend Korean-style outfits or American-style outfits. I think this kind of content can influence not only a person’s interests and daily habits, but also the way they see things.

So now I think globalization is actually very close to ordinary people’s lives. It not only creates more connections between countries, but also slowly becomes part of everyone’s daily life.

3. A Question for Discussion

After reading this article and thinking about it in my own way, I came up with a question: now that we can see more and more content from other countries through the Internet, does seeing more really mean that we understand those countries better?

I think sometimes the answer may be no. If many people from one country post similar content online, people from other countries may gradually form stereotypes about that country after seeing the same type of content again and again. For example, we often see posts saying that “Koreans like to drink iced Americano all year round.” It is true that many people like iced Americano, but if this kind of content is repeated too often, people from other countries may start to think that all Koreans are like this.

So I think the Internet makes it easier for us to learn about other countries, but at the same time, it can also make some simple impressions become stronger. A country has many different kinds of people and many different ways of life, but the content that spreads most easily online often shows only one part of it.

So the question I want to discuss is: after globalization and the Internet give us access to more and more information about other countries, do they really help us understand each other better, or can they sometimes make stereotypes even stronger?

Comments

  1. I completely agree with your point! Your example about the iced Americano is so true. Because we see the same short videos and trends online all the time, it is easy to think that everyone in a country is exactly the same. The internet gives us a lot of information, but sometimes it just creates stronger stereotypes instead of true understanding.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1: What Is Globalization? — LI ZAIQUAN

Blog 1: What is globalization? - CHOI WONJUN

Blog1:What is Globalization?——LONG ZILIN용재림