Blog 1: What Is Globalization? — YeonWoo Jung
1. What I Understood from the Reading and Class
Before reading this article, I thought of globalization simply as a process in which people from different countries expand their areas of activity beyond their own countries and move into the wider world, making the world more diverse.
However, this article clearly presented an idea that went further than my previous understanding. Globalization is not simply a phenomenon in which national borders become less important, people’s areas of activity expand, and everyone becomes connected. Rather, it is a very complex process that also includes the consciousness of seeing the world as one space. I think the important point here is the idea of “consciousness.”
The authors describe globalization as an “essentially contested concept.” This means that there is no single agreed-upon definition of globalization, and different scholars can have different perspectives on it. Globalization itself can also be understood differently depending on a country or its cultural background. Because of this, some scholars even use the term “globalizations” in the plural. In this sense, globalization seems to be more of an abstract concept than a phenomenon that can be clearly defined in one way.
Although it is difficult to give globalization a definite definition, the authors explain that there are two main directions of globalization. The first is that the world becomes increasingly connected. People connect with one another across countries and across the globe. The second is that people become more conscious of the world as a whole. Rather than seeing the world simply as separate countries such as Korea, China, and Japan, people increasingly see themselves as individuals who are part of the world as a whole.
Globalization can be explained through four dimensions: economic, political, cultural, and social. These dimensions influence each other and develop together. McDonald’s can be used as an example of this, as the brand expands its market while considering the cultures and circumstances of different countries.
2. What I Found Interesting
The authors mention that long-distance communication through the Internet is also an important form of social connection in the process of globalization. I found this interesting because I think this is one of the most important phenomena that creates globalization in modern society. It also matched the way I had previously thought about globalization, so I found this part particularly interesting.
K-pop is a good example of this. People living very far away from Korea can discover K-pop through the Internet, and some of them even come to Korea to study after becoming interested in Korean culture. I think these kinds of cases are an important part of the process of globalization.
The authors also state that “consciousness does not imply consensus.” Globalization might simply seem to mean that a Korean person can communicate with someone from another country through the Internet. However, the authors go further and explain that globalization can also mean that people begin to see themselves as part of the world beyond the country they belong to.
This was a way of thinking that I had never really considered before, so it made me think about some examples from my own experience. For example, when we watch the Olympics, we usually support athletes from our own countries. At the same time, however, we can also feel that we are part of a global sports community. Thinking about globalization in this way made the authors’ argument more interesting to me.
3. A Question and Discussion Angle
Like the example of McDonald’s, global brands often change their products to fit the characteristics of each local region. However, I wonder if this kind of change could sometimes be understood not as globalization, but as a new culture created locally.
I once saw the Korean bakery brand Paris Baguette while traveling abroad. At the time, I was curious about whether the store would be exactly the same as or similar to the ones in Korea, so I went inside to look around. Surprisingly, although only the design of the brand’s sign was the same, the store had such a different atmosphere and completely different menu items that it felt like an entirely different store.
Some people might describe this as globalization adapting to local characteristics, but my first reaction was, “How is this Paris Baguette from Korea?” I felt that it was more like a new culture that had been created in that local area.
This made me wonder whether it is more appropriate to see globalization as a culture that spreads while adapting to each local area, or as a process through which new cultures are created in different regions. I am curious about what other people think about this.
main question: When a global brand undergoes significant changes to fit local culture, should we still view this as an example of globalization, or as the emergence of a newly formed regional culture?
I found your Paris Baguette example really interesting. I agree that when a global brand changes significantly to fit local culture, it can feel like more than just globalization. I think globalization can also create new local cultures through this process.
ReplyDeleteI believe that for global brands to adapt to local cultures is both a form of globalization and the formation of new regional cultures. Global brands adapting their products and atmosphere to local cultures is still a form of globalization because the brand itself is expanding across multiple regions, but once regional adaptation becomes significant, the result can be quite different from the original culture.
ReplyDeleteI believe it is both a case of globalization and a process in which new regional cultures are being formed. While globalization is what allows global brands to spread beyond borders, new cultures can emerge through the process of adapting to local tastes and customs. The bulgogi pizza mentioned in the lecture is a representative example. A new form emerged as Korean food culture merged with pizza, a globally popular dish.
ReplyDeleteTherefore, rather than choosing only one, I think it is appropriate to view it as 'glocalization,' that is, the phenomenon of the combination of global and regional elements.