Blog 1: What is Globalization? -LIU YINGTONG

1. Summary

This week’s reading and PPT were mainly about the question of “What is globalization?” Robertson and White explain that globalization is not easy to define with only one fixed definition. People from different countries, cultures, and academic fields can understand globalization in different ways. Because of this, some scholars even use the word “globalizations” instead of thinking about globalization as only one process.

One of the most important ideas in the reading is that globalization has two main directions: increasing global connectivity and increasing global consciousness. Global connectivity means that different parts of the world are becoming more connected through economic, political, social, and cultural relationships. Global consciousness means that people are becoming more aware that they are living in a connected world. However, global consciousness does not mean that everyone has the same opinion. It means that people increasingly see the world as a whole.

The PPT also explained that globalization has different dimensions. It is not only an economic process. It has four major dimensions: cultural, social, political, and economic. These dimensions are connected to each other. For example, economic globalization can help global brands enter different countries, while the spread of these brands can also influence local culture. McDonaldization is one example of this process. Global brands may spread similar products and ways of consumption, but they also need to change some things for local cultures.

Another important idea is glocalization. The global and the local are not always opposites. When a global product enters a local market, it usually needs to adapt to local consumers and cultural conditions. Therefore, globalization does not necessarily mean that every place will become exactly the same.

2. What I Learned

Before this class, I had a simple understanding of globalization. I mainly thought globalization meant more trade between countries or foreign brands entering other countries. After reading the article and studying the PPT, I realized that this idea was too limited. Globalization happens in economic, cultural, political, and social life, and these dimensions can influence each other.

The difference between global connectivity and global consciousness was especially interesting to me. Before, I usually thought about connection first. For example, through Instagram, YouTube, and other social media, we can easily see content from other countries. However, I now understand that seeing content is only one part of connectivity. More importantly, we can become aware that events and people in other parts of the world can also be related to our own lives. This is closer to the idea of global consciousness.

I was also interested in glocalization. When a global brand enters a new country, it does not always use exactly the same products or marketing methods. It can change according to local culture and consumers. This shows that globalization can create similarities between countries, but local culture can still influence the process. I think this relationship between similarity and difference is very interesting.

Another point that I learned from the reading is that globalization is not a concrete “thing.” It is a complex process and should not simply be used to explain every problem in the world. We need different perspectives to understand it instead of saying that globalization is always good or always bad.

3. Question / Discussion

The question I want to discuss is: If globalization can create both cultural similarity and cultural difference, how should we understand its influence on culture?

Today, social media makes it much easier for people from different countries to see the same music, movies, fashion, and brands. Because of this, cultures may seem to be becoming closer. However, the idea of glocalization shows that local cultures do not simply disappear. People can change, adapt, and understand global culture in their own way.

Therefore, I do not think globalization simply makes every culture the same. Instead, it creates more contact between different cultures and can also create new cultural forms. As social media and global platforms continue to grow, I wonder whether local cultures will become weaker or whether globalization will create more new and mixed cultures.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1: What Is Globalization? — LI ZAIQUAN

Blog 1: What is globalization? - CHOI WONJUN

Blog1:What is Globalization?——LONG ZILIN용재림